Quotations and charging
- An initial quotation is for information only until mutually agreed, and is binding only if it is in an order which I have accepted or a contract of work to which I have agreed.
- I agree to carry out the work agreed and detailed in the client brief, quotation, specification or work/contract agreement.
- Unless specified otherwise, quotes are to provide a final author’s draft (with proofing and editorial carried out on an ongoing basis during writing), and include one set of author amends, unless drafts require substantial re-working or re-development. Any additional or substantial amends will be charged at an hourly rate and will be discussed and agreed with the client before proceeding.
- Costings assume that final proofing, editorial, design and formatting for digital or print publication are carried out by the client.
- All timescales provided with a quotation are estimates – if the work takes less time than previously stated, final costs will be adjusted accordingly. Any additional work beyond the estimated total of half a day and above would be agreed with the client before proceeding.
- If there is any further or additional work not included in a contract or agreement, or if the client changes the scope of work, I will amend my quotation to include such work.
- Quotations detail my work only. If other suppliers are required, these will be charged for separately and in addition to my fees. Any additional expenses not included in the quotation will also be charged for separately and in addition to the original quote.
- If fulfilment of a project requires travel away from my place of work, travel and other related expenses (e.g. overnight stays) will be charged for separately and in addition to the original quote. Wherever possible, I will seek out the cheapest travel options available (e.g. by booking public transport in advance and at off-peak times). If I travel by car I will charge the travel costs of 45p/mile as set out by HMRC.
- Any work that is started, either experimentally or otherwise, at the client’s request will be invoiced for.
- If a project is abandoned or halted for a period of 60 days or more by the client, I will invoice for work done on a pro-rata basis plus a cancellation fee of 20 per cent of the total project cost.
- My working days are Monday to Friday with core hours of 9am-3pm. Any work undertaken outside my daily hours at the client’s request or due to missed deadlines on the client’s part will be charged as extra using an hourly rate.
- I am not VAT registered, and do not charge VAT on any costs.
- The client agrees to pay me the agreed fee for carrying out the work detailed in the contract or work agreement.
- Payment is to be made according to the payment schedule set out in the contract or work agreement where applicable. If an initial payment is due, no work will be undertaken until this payment is made.
- If there are any queries about my invoice, please inform me in writing ahead of its issue.
- Payment should be made via BACs using the details on the invoice.
- Payment is strictly 30 days from the date of issue of the invoice. Any invoice not paid in full after 30 days will have interest added at 8 per cent above the current Bank of England base rate until complete and final payment has been made and cleared. This is in accordance with the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998.
- I may suspend work and/or refuse to undertake new work for clients with payments in arrears.
- Any payment not settled within 45 days from the date of issue of the invoice may be passed to a debt-collecting agency. The client will cover any associated costs incurred in obtaining full payment.
- Full and final payment is treated as the mutually satisfactory conclusion of the project.
Cancellations and notice period
- All training, workshop and similar face-to-face events must be cancelled with a minimum of 48 hours notice. Any cancellations made after that period will be invoiced for the full amount. If cancellations are made before this period, any completed planning and preparation work outlined in the work agreement or contract will be invoiced for.
- Where an event or meeting is cancelled and travel tickets have already been purchased, any non-refundable travel and other related costs will be charged to the client.
- For project work, the notice period, for myself and clients, is 30 days.
- Any notice from one party to the other must be given in writing.
Created 19th April 2019
Updated 29th May 2019 to include further cancellation details